[Mongrel] Uploading Large (100mb+) files

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Nov 28 18:18:02 EST 2006

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:08:56 +0200
Jarkko Laine <jarkko at jlaine.net> wrote:

> On 28.11.2006, at 22.41, Zed A. Shaw wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:46:06 +0200
> > Jarkko Laine <jarkko at jlaine.net> wrote:
> >> Out of curiosity, has anyone managed to pair mongrel_upload_progress
> >> (or any of the other options) with MogileFS?
> >
> > That's been mentioned in the past, but I believe it wouldn't work
> > since the file has to be streamed to the local disk and then pushed
> > up to MogileFS.  Since disks are so cheap it turns out to be
> > cheaper to just upload the file to a big disk and then use a fast
> > web server to serve the files.
>
> The problem with this, I think, is that you won't get the benefits of
> no single point of failure (unless you use an expensive RAID array or
> SAN setup).

So you're saying a couple of web servers running apache or nginx to serve files right off a server's disk is LESS reliable than a nearly unproven MogileFS setup that uses mysql, trackers, storage nodes, and then eventually just transmits off HTTP anyway?

Got any metrics to back this claim?

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/