[Mongrel] Uploading Large (100mb+) files

Matt White stockliasteroid at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 16:55:27 EST 2006

Nginx will buffer the entire request before sending it to any mongrels...
This probably isn't what you want when dealing with large uploads ;).

Check out: http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxHttpProxyModule

Ezra mentioned a while back that the author of Nginx may fix this issue in
the future, but for now your requests won't make it through Nginx to Rails
(or a dedicated upload mongrel) until the upload is complete...

On 11/29/06, Philip Hallstrom <mongrel at philip.pjkh.com> wrote:

> single-threadedness
> not
> >>
> >> I haven't used this plugin, but just gave it a quick read through...
> one
> >> thing I didn't see mentioned... can I skip the upload progress stuff
> and
> >> just get the benefits of it not blocking mongrel/rails?
> >
> > Yep, actually that's an incredibly trivial thing to do.  You'd probably
> > be better off just starting with a small handler that moved the files
> > where you wanted after the upload, and then expand it to your needs.
> Yeah, you're right.  I grabbed the Rick's svn repo and ran his example in
> about 10 minutes...
> That's pretty slick :)  Slick enough I might keep that progress bar :)
> -philip

Matt White
Thermal Creative