[Mongrel] Uploading Large (100mb+) files

Philip Hallstrom mongrel at philip.pjkh.com
Tue Nov 28 16:26:04 EST 2006

>>> I have an Apache 2.2.3 (mod_proxy_balancer) frontend server that does
>>> not have mongrel installed. It does proxy requests to several other
>>> mongrel-only servers (each running 2 mongrel processes). Each mongrel
>>> node has the same rails code-base and it's working perfectly.
>>> However, my question is when I add an upload file form... where is it
>>> going to physically put that file? I mean since it's hitting either one
>>> node or the other, so how does mongrel deal with that? and how or where
>>> do I tell it to accept large files (100mb+) ?
>> Others have given good advice on how to do it, but wanted to say you don't
>> need to do anything to get it to accept 100mb files.  We do that quite a
>> bit and while it takes awhile works just fine.  It does tie up a mongrel
>> process, but we're okay with that.
> Quick clarification to what Philip said:  The actual upload doesn't
> block mongrel since it's done in a thread before rails gets the uploaded
> body.  Now, once Rails gets it the cgi.rb multipart mime processing is
> run on the resulting file which can eat your CPU for about 20
> seconds/100mb of file (based on my observations).

You lost me a bit... are you saying the actual upload doesn't block
mongrel with or without the plugin?  And when you say "mongrel" do you
really mean "rails within mongrel" or just mongrel?

I'm thinking you mean that uploads don't block *mongrel* ever, but without
the plugin uploads block rails within mongrel which affectively blocks any
other rails requests.