[Mongrel] Uploading Large (100mb+) files

Jarkko Laine jarkko at jlaine.net
Tue Nov 28 16:08:56 EST 2006

On 28.11.2006, at 22.41, Zed A. Shaw wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:46:06 +0200
> Jarkko Laine <jarkko at jlaine.net> wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, has anyone managed to pair mongrel_upload_progress
>> (or any of the other options) with MogileFS?
>
> That's been mentioned in the past, but I believe it wouldn't work
> since the file has to be streamed to the local disk and then pushed
> up to MogileFS.  Since disks are so cheap it turns out to be
> cheaper to just upload the file to a big disk and then use a fast
> web server to serve the files.

The problem with this, I think, is that you won't get the benefits of
no single point of failure (unless you use an expensive RAID array or
SAN setup). Also, if you have app servers on multiple machines, you
would have to setup NFS or something if you have anything else than
the file to be added through the form (i.e. you can't send the entire
form to a process dedicated just for file uploads). So I guess
something like a BackgrounDRB process running the Robot Co-Op's
Mogile library might be the way to go.

//jarkko

--
Jarkko Laine