[Mongrel] Uploading Large (100mb+) files

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Nov 28 15:41:44 EST 2006

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:46:06 +0200
Jarkko Laine <jarkko at jlaine.net> wrote:

> On 28.11.2006, at 21.30, Matt White wrote:
> > If you use something like mongrel_upload_progress, the single-
> > threadedness of Rails is no problem because Mongrel will intercept
> > the upload and not hand it off to Rails until it's complete. That's
> > what I'm doing at the moment, and my app runs just fine on one
> > Mongrel.
> >
> > If you're running large file uploads, I would recommend looking
> > into it anyway, because your users will surely want some kind of
> > update about how their upload is going.
> Out of curiosity, has anyone managed to pair mongrel_upload_progress
> (or any of the other options) with MogileFS?

That's been mentioned in the past, but I believe it wouldn't work since the file has to be streamed to the local disk and then pushed up to MogileFS.  Since disks are so cheap it turns out to be cheaper to just upload the file to a big disk and then use a fast web server to serve the files.

Now, if you have a post processing stage you could benefit from this.  I know several folks that, after they process the files, push them up to Amazon S3.  Similar things can be done with MogileFS too.