[Mongrel] Uploading Large (100mb+) files

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Nov 28 15:38:01 EST 2006

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:17:37 -0600
cremes.devlist at mac.com wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Rogelio Samour wrote:
>
> > I would like to combine what you guys are suggesting. Namely, have
> > a merb app (mongrel) dealio... be the sole file uploader listener.
> > I understand the ReWrite rules and ProxyPass magic. However, this
> > poses a new question: how would I go about downloading these
> > uploaded files? I'm assuming I would want this mongrel node to also
> > be a file server, correct?
> >
> > My only experience with setting up mongrel is through
> > mongrel_rails. cremes: are you saying this upload-only mongrel is
> > it's own setup?  if so,  is there docs on setting up something like
> > this?
> >

> Well, there aren't any specific docs explaining how to do this
> configuration. There are docs for setting up a standalone Mongrel.
> Then there are other docs which show how to create a mongrel cluster
> and proxy it with Apache. Just combine the two techniques and you're
> done. It really is as simple as it sounds.
>
> If you have specific problems that you need the group's help to
> overcome, post here and we'll try.

Yep, it's not hard, the main thing is to read up on the Configurator and to create your own startup script.  It's maybe 20-60 lines of code depending on how complex you want to get.

Take a look at the mongrel_rails script and the Configurator documentation in the RDoc:

http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/rdoc/

I've also already done this for a company and they've given me permission to write it up and release it for other people to use.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/