[Mongrel] Determining ideal number of Mongrels for an app?

Joe Ruby joeat303 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 11:27:38 EST 2006

What's a rule of thumb for guesstimating how many
Mongrels to use in a cluster for an app? I have an app
that gets about 5000 unique visitors per day. I
figured I'd give it plenty of Mongrels -- twenty to be
specific. After running out of memory and hitting the
swap periodically, I scaled it back to five and it
still seems to serve up visitors fine. So, is there
some super-secret math fomula I can use to determine
the ideal number of Mongrels I should start in a
cluster for an app?

Do you Yahoo!?