[Mongrel] mongrel & apache on Win32

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 10:17:58 EST 2006

On 11/27/06, Tom Bednarz <list at bednarz.ch> wrote:
> Hi Luis,
> Thanks for that feedback. Sounds very intersting to me. I plan to go
> into production in January 2007. By that time I need a scalable
> environment for Windows. It would kill me, if I spend the time to
> migrate now and find out in January that there is no suitable production
> runtime environment on Windows!
> I am convinced, that during next year other improvements will take
> place. So for a start I need something stable that can serve a smaller
> group of users. Later I need support for a larger community, thats why
> scalabilty is important for me right now from the beginning. We start
> small but the environment should be able to grow.

I agree with you on this. From day one you must take in consideration

> I must say that I depend on M$ only regarding the OS, the database is
> Sybase iAnywhere, web server is Apache etc.

Anyway, one of the things that the new implementation [1] is provide
the more smooth and clean implementation for users that require some
*nix features in windows environments (ones due requirements of their
customers or prior license purchases, like my situation).

> So if you could send me some instructions how to get mongrel and RoR
> going on W2K3 and Apache 2.2 If that helps you, I would test it in
> december and give you feedback.

I don't use apache (if you read the interview in detail), mostly due
we don't serve a huge amount of static content from our applications
(and the 100% of them are intranets).

What we developed at our company is a TCP balancer for windows/linux,
but currently on hold for a open-source release (still lot to be

Off-topic, we create "native" installer for windows and deploy
everything (ror, ruby, mongrel) from the same setup, so administrators
could reinstall everything if they require.

Radiant CMS: http://www.radiantcms.org

> > Hope could release the new Fossilize gem by the end of the year.
> >
> That would be very interesting for me too. Drop me a line if I can test
> something for you!

It will be a open release with spam-like announcements here
(mongrel-users) and other lists, so stay tune ;-)

> By the way: I read your interview with pat eyler on O'Reilly. We are
> based in Switzerland and I have to do everything in German language. Do
> you use Internationalization in RoR to support Spanish and English or do
> you offer Spanish only?

We took the complex but safer approach to this: instead of using
globalize plugin [2]. we're using GetText [3]

So far that manual approach give us good results.

Basically we code the whole application in English, then generate the
Spanish and Portuguese translations using the .po resources.

Regards and good week!