[Mongrel] mongrel & apache on Win32

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 22:36:27 EST 2006

On 11/26/06, Will Green <will at hotgazpacho.com> wrote:
> > Is there a mongrel cluster for Win32?
>
> Yes, mongrel works on Windows, and you can start a cluster. BTW, I
> compiled the 0.3.17 pre-release on win32 the other day, and it appears
> to have compiled without complaint (even with fastthread).  I have not,
> however, had the opportunity to test it.
>
> > How can I run multiple instances of mongrel on Win32?
>
> Luis Lavena is working on cleaning up the code for running a Mongrel
> cluster as a service.  Stay tuned...

Yep, will be adding process monitoring tomorrow and cluster support by
the end of the week.

> > Capistrano on Win32??
>
> If you set up a Cygwin environment to get SSH and the other tools
> Capistrano expects (cp, ls, tar, gzip, sudo, etc.), then yes.  I have
> done this in development, but not production.

I don't have experience deploying with capistrano on windows.

I use a different approach based on rails applications packaged as
gems (I call this Fossilize).

Radiant is the first public RoR that takes this approach, from the
same codebase/checkout you could serve different "instances" of your
application, each one with its own db settings, cache, or plugins.

All rake tasks works under that design, so rake db:migrate will work
without problems.

Also mongrel recognizes it as a true rails application, no problems
with your true "application code" came from a gem or a svn checkout.

I hooked up a mongrel handler that allow me:
1) download the lastest available gem of my application
2) install it (gem install)
3) stop the application
4) update the instace to use the new version
5) run the database migrations
6) restart the application

Hope could release the new Fossilize gem by the end of the year.