[Mongrel] [ANN] Mongrel 0.3.17 PR -- Big Work Day, 1.0 RC1 Very Close

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Sat Nov 25 01:11:30 EST 2006

Hello Everyone,

We're hard at work getting the hot new win32 service Luis wrote out and ready for production.  We're hoping to have that included in the 1.0 RC1 release we make very soon.

This pre-release is just to make sure that we didn't step on any toes.
Install it with:

 $ gem install fastthread --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases
 $ gem install mongrel --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases

The fastthread gem implements mentalguy's fastthread set of Thread locking alternatives.  It is optional, so if it causes you problems, remove it from your gems:

 $ gem uninstall fastthread

Restart Mongrel and all will be as it was before.  The fastthread stuff will hopefully make Mongrel a little quicker and also reduce it's memory leakage potential.

This release features preliminary support for fastthread, the fixing of all the bugs reported that could be fixed, and a small change to how headers go out so Rails 1.2 RC1 is good.  This change makes it so that headers only go out once, first come first served.

Read the ChangeLog: http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/ChangeLog

I also removed the proposed new multipart mime parsing since it was too experimental.

There were a bunch of changes to the site, but mostly just corrections.  New pages that people can access are:

A joke page about Mongrel MUDCRAP certification that hasn't changed but is now accesible from the site menu: http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/certified.html

A page pimping books: http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/books.html

And there's now an Atom feed at http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/feed.atom which you can subscribe to and get notified of updates to *any* pages.  Let me know how this works out.

You'll notice the books page mentions my book, as well as one by Fabio Akita, but I want to mention any books that mention Mongrel as well.  The more information about Mongrel there is the better.  If you've got a book that available for purchase then let me know and I'll put it on the site promptly.

News: http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/news.html
Atom: http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/feed.atom
Certified: http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/certified.html