[Mongrel] Monrel Woes on Solaris x86
runner at berkeley.edu
Sun Nov 19 12:50:53 EST 2006
On 11/16/06, Steven Hansen <runner at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I need some help... please be gentle :-)
Hello Steven, and thanks for the good collection of info ;)
> NOTE: My MySql server is running on a different machine than Mongrel.
Do you have access to any of the MySql server's configuration data?
Which settings (if any) have been altered from the defaults? I ask
due to this bit:
> 4) I tried adding "ActiveRecord::Base.verification_timeout = "14400" to
> my rails
> environment.rb file, as per the FAQ, this had no effect.
If the settings have been altered per the "Decrease the value of
connect_timeout" section of the following document:
I know its suggestions are for MySql 5 (vs. your version), but if
changes similar to these have been made on your MySql server, you
would need to change the "14400" value in your Rails environment to a
lower value than the one set for interactive_timeout on the MySql end
of things (assuming the Mongrel FAQ is accurate and current in that
regard; I'm new to Mongrel, myself).
> MOVING FORWARD
> I'm not really sure where to go from here. Like I said, I have a strong
> suspicion that MySql
> is the culprit, but I'm not sure how to fix the problem. If anyone
> could give me some advice
> on what to try next, I would really appreciate it.
If you could check (with someone, or otherwise) the MySql
server-in-question's configuration to make sure Rails is using a low
enough verification_timeout, that would be another positive step, IMO.
Maybe it'll turn up something, as it sounds like the 'timeout' is
happening at approximately 20 minutes for you, vs. documentation I
have seen suggests that the default is 480 minutes. Good Luck.
Thanks for your suggestions. Sorry for the late reply, it looks like my
over zealous spam
filter snagged your reply, I stumbled on your email while browsing the
I am--for now--administering the machine that the database is running on
and I will
try your suggestions.
FWIW, I fired up good old webrick to see if the same problem would
occur. Sure enough,
after 20 minutes of inactivity the app would no longer respond through
the browser or by
doing (curl localhost:50042) while logged on to the machine.
More information about the Mongrel-users