[Mongrel] Monrel Woes on Solaris x86

Parker Anderson baka.rob at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 18:16:46 EST 2006

On 11/16/06, Steven Hansen <runner at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I need some help... please be gentle :-)

Hello Steven, and thanks for the good collection of info ;)

> NOTE: My MySql server is running on a different machine than Mongrel.

Do you have access to any of the MySql server's configuration data?
Which settings (if any) have been altered from the defaults?  I ask
due to this bit:

> 4) I tried adding "ActiveRecord::Base.verification_timeout = "14400" to
> my rails
> environment.rb file, as per the FAQ, this had no effect.

If the settings have been altered per the "Decrease the value of
connect_timeout" section of the following document:

http://mysqldatabaseadministration.blogspot.com/2005/11/mysql-5-optimization-and-tuning-guide.html

I know its suggestions are for MySql 5 (vs. your version), but if
changes similar to these have been made on your MySql server, you
would need to change the "14400" value in your Rails environment to a
lower value than the one set for interactive_timeout on the MySql end
of things (assuming the Mongrel FAQ is accurate and current in that
regard; I'm new to Mongrel, myself).

> MOVING FORWARD
> I'm not really sure where to go from here.  Like I said, I have a strong
> suspicion that MySql
> is the culprit, but I'm not sure how to fix the problem.  If anyone
> could give me some advice
> on what to try next, I would really appreciate it.

If you could check (with someone, or otherwise) the MySql
server-in-question's configuration to make sure Rails is using a low
enough verification_timeout, that would be another positive step, IMO.
 Maybe it'll turn up something, as it sounds like the 'timeout' is
happening at approximately 20 minutes for you, vs. documentation I
have seen suggests that the default is 480 minutes.  Good Luck.

> Regards,
> Steven

Sincerely,
-Parker