[Mongrel] memory issues -- mongrel part of the problem?

Will Green will at hotgazpacho.com
Wed Nov 15 20:40:18 EST 2006

I don't know where people get the idea that image processing is not a
memory-intensive process.  Most image formats are compressed, heavily in
some cases. magicked needs to uncompress the image, apply the
transforms, and re-compress it back to disk... all in-memory.  Throw in
some concurrency, and your memory usage will spiral.

Just as a point of reference, I have been working on a set of comps at
work.  The photoshop file is 32 Mb on disk.  In memory, before doing
anything, photoshop's memory usage climbs to 1.2 Gb(!). Sure, a bit
extreme, but it illustrates my point.

Will Green