[Mongrel] memory issues -- mongrel part of the problem?

Ross Riley riley.ross at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 18:19:35 EST 2006

I'll jump in on this one too.
We've found about the same when using RMagick with mongrel. We've got
sites on a dedicated server with a stack of RAM and 3 mongrel servers
per app and they seem to cope ok. However I ran another site on a VPS
with 128mb of RAM and a single mongrel server and often, depending on
the uploaded image, the server will completely lock up.

I have monit running on this server, but if it goes, it needs a root
login to force quit all processes and then a restart of the server to
cure, monit won't restart it. I don't know what everyone else has
found, but I'd say that if you're going to use RMagick, you need
plenty of spare RAM capacity.