[Mongrel] memory issues -- mongrel part of the problem?

kigsteronline at mac.com kigsteronline at mac.com
Wed Nov 15 16:38:49 EST 2006

We are using RMagick / mongrel / apache, and recently had to run a
migration that had to process approximately 7000 images, by
generating a thumbnail and a JPEG out of a large PNG.

The migration took about 5 minutes to complete, and while it was
running I was watching the RAM/CPU of the rake process that was
running it.  The process RSS was fluctuating between 200Mb and
500Mb... It seems like once the garbage collection kicked in, the RSS
went down by up to 300Mb, and then slowly climb back up.   Clearly,
this is a very high memory footprint for a web server process, but
should be acceptable for a dedicated background process.