[Mongrel] memory issues -- mongrel part of the problem?

Carl Lerche carl.lerche at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 11:15:09 EST 2006

I've been using RMagick within my rails apps for all my image
manipulation needs so far. I have been wondering about how the image
stuff was handled memory wise. Everything has been running smoothly so
far so I didn't really worry about it. In the future though, what
would be the better approach?

1) Using mini_magick within my rails apps
2) Using RMagick in a BackgroundRB process
- 1+2

I'm guessing that if mini_magick doesn't load anything into memory,
running it inside the rails app should be fine?

Thanks,
-carl

On 11/14/06, Clint Troxel <clint at ctro.net> wrote:
> So, I realize that all answers point to offloading to backgroundrb -- but...
>
>  1) RMagick isn't being used.... or loaded into the mongrel memory
> space -- using mini_magick.
>  2) These images are being served from the cache -- at this point
> there isn't any mini_magick (or RMagick!) being excecuted -- just
> files served from the rails cache.
>
> Is the recommendation still to use backgroundrb?  Seems that serving a
> static file from the cache shouldn't be a time intensive op.
>
> happy to be informed,
> Clint
>
> On 11/14/06, Vishnu Gopal <g.vishnu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A quick question (since answers to all such threads is to offload
> > tasks to backgroundrb): If I set load_rails to true in backgroundrb
> > configuration, does that hurt things? [are some mongrel threads
> > involved & blocking then?]
> >
> > Vish
> >
> > On 11/15/06, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:

> > > The #1 cause of problems when running Mongrel seems to be "I'm just doing <insert file store in database> with <insert image modification using RMagick>."  I'd look at a way to move that outside of rails with BackgrounDRb.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Zed A. Shaw, MUDCRAP-CE Master Black Belt Sifu
> > > http://www.zedshaw.com/
> > > http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0321483502 -- The Mongrel Book
> > > http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/
> > > http://www.lingr.com/room/3yXhqKbfPy8 -- Come get help.
> >

> --
> clint troxel _ Open End Studios _
> 307.413.0366
> http://openendstudios.com

EPA Rating: 3000 Lines of Code / Gallon (of coffee)