[Mongrel] memory issues -- mongrel part of the problem?

Clint Troxel clint at ctro.net
Wed Nov 15 01:17:45 EST 2006

So, I realize that all answers point to offloading to backgroundrb -- but...

 1) RMagick isn't being used.... or loaded into the mongrel memory
space -- using mini_magick.
 2) These images are being served from the cache -- at this point
there isn't any mini_magick (or RMagick!) being excecuted -- just
files served from the rails cache.

Is the recommendation still to use backgroundrb?  Seems that serving a
static file from the cache shouldn't be a time intensive op.

happy to be informed,
Clint

On 11/14/06, Vishnu Gopal <g.vishnu at gmail.com> wrote:
> A quick question (since answers to all such threads is to offload
> tasks to backgroundrb): If I set load_rails to true in backgroundrb
> configuration, does that hurt things? [are some mongrel threads
> involved & blocking then?]
>
> Vish
>
> On 11/15/06, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:08:29 -0700
> > "Clint Troxel" <clint at ctro.net> wrote:
> >
> > > the only interesting thing the application is doing is storing photos
> > > in the database and resizing the photos on the way out using
> > > mini_magick.  Once the photos are delivered once they are cached using
> > > rails page caching (i'm positive the caching is working,
> > > production.log says so).
> >
> > The #1 cause of problems when running Mongrel seems to be "I'm just doing <insert file store in database> with <insert image modification using RMagick>."  I'd look at a way to move that outside of rails with BackgrounDRb.
> >
> > --
> > Zed A. Shaw, MUDCRAP-CE Master Black Belt Sifu
> > http://www.zedshaw.com/
> > http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0321483502 -- The Mongrel Book
> > http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/
> > http://www.lingr.com/room/3yXhqKbfPy8 -- Come get help.