[Mongrel] memory issues -- mongrel part of the problem?

Clint Troxel clint at ctro.net
Tue Nov 14 14:08:29 EST 2006

Hi.  I'm a fairly new mongrel user and have a scenario that I wanted
to run by you all, see if anyone's synapses connect -- mine def.

I'm running a fairly simple rails app through a mongrel cluster (2
mongrels).  This site is consistently sloooow -- memory on the server
is regularly paging (and shouldn't be).   ssh-ing in and running top
shows these two mongrel processes taking up about 80% of the 1 gig of
system memory.

the only interesting thing the application is doing is storing photos
in the database and resizing the photos on the way out using
mini_magick.  Once the photos are delivered once they are cached using
rails page caching (i'm positive the caching is working,
production.log says so).

So, at this point the site should only be delivering images from the
cache (which is currently on disk) apache isn't serving the images,
mongrel is.  -- but, things are slow.  Does this ring any bells for

you can check the site out (don't pound too hard please! ;) )
click on the "developments" tab to see what i mean -- those thumbnail
images are coming from the cache.

Server :  Fedora Core 5
mongrel_cluster: 0.2.0

I'm eternally grateful to anyone who can help me out with this!  Sort
of at the end of my rope.
Thanks in advance, & hope your Tuesday is good.

clint troxel _ Open End Studios _