[Mongrel] Setting up Mongrel and Apache , some direction needed

Mark Somerville ms at pccl.info
Tue Nov 14 05:41:18 EST 2006

Hi Stuart,

On Monday 13 November 2006 19:02, Dark Ambient wrote:
> I just ran into one glitch , found out we're running Apache 2.0.54, so no
> mod_proxy_balance.  Any workarounds for that ?

Since we're using RHEL 4 (and cannot install things from source, for various
reasons), I recently setup Apache 2.0.x to use a mongrel cluster just by
using mod_proxy to randomise requests between the various mongrels. It's not
as good as real load balancing (and, we haven't really tested it properly
yet - comments very welcome!), but it certainly seems like the best option so
far if you're not able to install Pen/Pound/Apache 2.2...

For example, start three mongrels on 8000-8002, then something like this in
your vhost should sort you out, but definitely read the manual:

  ProxyRequests Off
  ProxyPreserveHost On
  RewriteMap  servers rnd:///path/to/rewrite_map.conf
  RewriteRule ^/(images|stylesheets|javascripts)/?(.*) $0 [L]
  RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://localhost:${servers:ports}/$1 [P,L]

rewrite_map.conf:

  ports  8000|8001|8002

Mark