[Mongrel] apache -> pen -> mongrel cluster

Matt White stockliasteroid at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 19:22:58 EST 2006

In my case, I did that because I don't have Apache 2.2 installed, but I
wanted to use Apache for vhosting. So, I use the mod_proxy built into Apache
to route among my various apps and static sites on the machine, and in the
case of an app with mongrel_cluster I front it with Pen and route the
requests to Pen and on to mongrel_cluster. Pen is just so easy to use... I
was using Pound previously, but I haven't been very impressed with Pound's
configuration options. And when it goes wrong it's hard to tell why.

In the future I might chuck Pen in favor of _balancer, but I've been
avoiding dealing with installing Apache2.2 from Debian Experimental or
compiling from source.

So far the setup seems to work fine, but it would be nice to have the extra
layer out of there just for ease of management. Once Lighty goes 1.5 I might

On 11/14/06, Mark Uhrmacher <mmmaui at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi everyone,
> Recently, I've been reading about different deployment environments for
> rails and mongrel.  One configuration I've started seeing is apache -> pen
> -> mongrel cluster.  See http://errtheblog.com/post/35 as an example.
> Can someone explain to me the benefit of using Apache and Pen as opposed
> to either using apache as a load balancer or pen by itself?
> Thanks,
> Mark

Thermal Creative