[Mongrel] Apache 2.2.3 setup woes

Todd Fisher todd.fisher at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 21:25:14 EST 2006

crap, sorry about my first reply slipped on the keyboard....

Anyways, i was trying to say... I had a simpler issue the other day.

The first thing I did was make sure the file permissions on
/var/www/approot/public

were read by

chown -R apache:apache  /var/www/approot/public

The next step was to make sure I my named hosts set up correctly.  This is a
little tricky because apache supports different types of virtual hosts and
if you don't keep things consistent it's tricky to get it working.

What i first did since I run fedora core, is make sure that the
configuration in my /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf wrapped the default document
root in a virutal host and did so by name.

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
      ServerName bigbox
      ServerAlias bigbox

Now the only part i had to make sure was correct is the rails config

/etc/httpd/conf.d/rails.conf

<Proxy balancer://rails-cluster>
BalancerMember http://10.0.6.130:3000
BalancerMember http://10.0.6.130:3001
BalancerMember http://10.0.6.130:3002
BalancerMember http://10.0.6.130:3003
</Proxy>

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
      ServerName rails-dev
      ServerAlias rails-dev
      ProxyPass / balancer://rails-cluster/
      ProxyPassReverse / balancer://rails-cluster/
      ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/rails/error_log
      TransferLog /var/log/httpd/rails/access_log
</VirtualHost>

Again, making sure my paths were all accessible read/write for the log
dirs...

Hope this helps...  Lots of back and forth with the configuration usually
before it's working as desired...

Good luck!

-Todd