[Mongrel] OptimizedMutex for Mongrel

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 05:52:36 EST 2006

On 11/9/06, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2006, at 7:07 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:
> > On 11/8/06, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >
> > That's good, checked your code but build on win32 failed miserably.
>         Yeah at this point I hadn't even considered windows yet. I am not
> much of a C coder so I don't know if this optimized_locking extension
> will be able to work on windows.

Me neither, also was very tired to check the code in deep.

I'll contact mentalguy, but I guess the answer will be 'what, windows?' :-P

> > Because cannot get extension built, could you run this pastie against
> > the new locking mechanism?
> >
> > http://pastie.caboo.se/10194
> >
> > Thank you Ezra for your time, and thank you for pointing this info.
> > Hope we could get it working on Win32 side too. (I'm getting illegal
> > use of this type errors in WaitEntry *e)
> > --
> > Luis Lavena
> > Multimedia systems
> Hey Louis-
>         How did you make the graph? I just ran the test and watched top
> while it ran. The memory fluctuated between 2Mb and 7.8Mb. And it
> cycled. As in it would grow to almost 8Mb and then drop back down to
> 2 and grow again. Thats what we are looking for in a good memory
> alooc/free pattern right? If you tell me how to make that graph I
> will run it again and make one so you can see.

I didn't make it, was Zed. Guess the data was collected from ps or
something... right Zed?
Monitoring the memory used/allocation of the processes guess will be the idea.

What I did was take a few screenshots of Process Explorer on Windows
to proof Sync/Mutex differences: