[Mongrel] Distroy to experiment with Xen?

Eric-Olivier Lamey eolamey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 04:43:48 EST 2006

On 11/9/06, Carl Lerche <carl.lerche at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

> I would like to experiment with Xen some to see how I could integrate
> it in my various web application environments and hopefully make my
> life easier. I am currently using FreeBSD 6 but it seems that it
> doesn't fully support Xen. I did some searching around and also notice
> some posts on mailing lists mentioning some trouble with the CentOS 4
> distribution (something about the default Berkley DB package not
> playing nicely with Xen). Anyway, I know there was some mention of Xen
> on the mailing list a little bit ago and was wondering if anybody had
> any insight as to what OS / Distro would be well coupled with Xen for
> an end goal of Ruby on Rails, Mongrel, Apache, Postgres, etc...

  I'm currently using Centos4 and FC6 dom0 and RHEL3/Centos4 domUs
without any problem, dom0 being the base OS from which you run domUs
(the guests).

  With CentOS 4, you have to get xen packages from xensource.com, but
they are pretty good. With FC6 and Ubuntu 6.10, xen is packaged in the
distribution and therefore very well integrated.

  All those distributions should support the software stack needed for Rails.

Eric-Olivier Lamey