[Mongrel] Apache 2.2.3 setup woes

Christian Billen cbillen at warmlyyours.com
Wed Nov 8 08:39:08 EST 2006

Good morning everyone,

I am running apache 2.2.3 compiled from source and proxy load balancer as
described on the mongrel site.

I have a total of three sites, this setup works really well for two of them
but for one of them, I keep getting "Forbidden" errors and this error in the
apache logs:

[warn] proxy: No protocol handler was valid for the URL /. If you are using
a DSO version of mod_proxy, make sure the proxy submodules are included in
the configuration using LoadModule.

This problem is starting to drive me nuts because I compared the setup of
the other sites to this one and it is exactly the same, also if I did point
the proxy to one of the other site, it works.

So there's something specific about this site in rails that tips it off but
my knowledge there is limited.

I've also checked the permission for the www-data user that my apache runs
under and all checks out and is similar there.

Any other areas I could look at?

Here's the virtual host config

Listen 192.168.100.100
<VirtualHost 192.168.100.100>
  ServerName myprojects.warmlyyours.com
  DocumentRoot /var/www/approot/public
  <Directory "/var/www/approot/public">
        Options FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
  </Directory>

  # Configure mongrel_cluster
  <Proxy balancer://mongrel_cluster>
    BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8000
    BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8001
    BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8002
    BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8003
    BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8004
    BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8005
    BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8006
    BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8007
    BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8008
    BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8009
    BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8010
    BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8011
  </Proxy>

  RewriteEngine On

  RewriteRule ^(.*/)?.svn/ - [F,L]

  RewriteRule ^/$ /index.html [QSA]

  RewriteRule ^([^.]+)$ $1.html [QSA]

  RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ balancer://mongrel_cluster%{REQUEST_URI} [P,QSA,L]

</VirtualHost>