[Mongrel] Best Distro for Mongrel

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 21:29:01 EST 2006

On 11/7/06, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 06:30:22 -0800 (PST)
> Will Gant <williamwgant at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > I've gone through a lot of extra effort trying to get Mongrel to place nice with Ubuntu. Since I'm at my wit's end trying to get it to work on this distro, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a distribution that makes it easy to set up. Any thoughts?
>
> I do my development on ArchLinux, and was doing original development on Ubuntu.  Others use:
>
> * Solaris (with mkrf patch)
> * CentOS
> * FreeBSD
> * NetBSD
> * Win32

On Win32 I can comment:

I create my own "small ruby distro for deployment" on Win32. It
downloads ruby mswin32 binaries, apply patches (cgi.rb for now).
Download zlib dll and ruby-zlib. OpenSSL, readline and Iconv.

Then I package rubygems, patch the scripts and package it as 7zip archive.

I plan to extend this with ruby source recompile, when I reinstall VC6
and my fresh license Intel Compiler license, aiming to boost a bit of
performance on win32 side.

For deployment I use a custom InnoSetup routines (like Windows
Installer) so can't comment on Apache deployment, most of my
installations are intranet-ones.