[Mongrel] Best Distro for Mongrel

Jan Svitok jan.svitok at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 18:39:29 EST 2006

On 11/7/06, Will Gant <williamwgant at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've installed Ruby, MySql, Rails, Apache, and Mongrel. I'm first trying to
> prove that Mongrel works by itself before attempting integration with Apache
> (since I don't know jack about apache). I set up a site using the directions
> specified in the documentation (with the config file and all that), but the
> site doesn't show up when I try to hit the appropriate port (8100) on that
> machine.
>
> Here's my last post on the Rails list regarding this issue:
>
> -------
> I tried creating the config file as you suggested. I think something else
> may be broken:
>
> wgant at sauron:/etc/mongrel/sites-enabled$ mongrel_rails start -G test.config
> -e production
> !!! Path to log file not valid: log/mongrel.log
> start reported an error. Use mongrel_rails start -h to get help.
>
> I then tried the following:
>
> wgant at sauron:/etc/mongrel/sites-enabled$ mongrel_rails start -G test.config
> -e production -l /home/wgant/mongrel.log
> !!! Path to pid file not valid: log/mongrel.pid
> start reported an error. Use mongrel_rails start -h to get help.
> wgant at sauron:/etc/mongrel/sites-enabled$ mongrel_rails start -G test.config
> -e production -l /home/wgant/mongrel.log -p /home/wgant/mongrel.pid
> !!! Path to pid file not valid: log/mongrel.pid
> start reported an error. Use mongrel_rails start -h to get help.
> wgant at sauron:/etc/mongrel/sites-enabled$ mongrel_rails start -G test.config
> -e production -l /home/wgant/mongrel.log -P /home/wgant/mongrel.pid
> !!! Path to docroot not valid: public
> start reported an error. Use mongrel_rails start -h to get help.

Just a hint, I haven't setup mongrel on ubuntu yet, although I'm
planning to. (I'm running mongrel on windows)

- Your problem seems to be that mongrel doesn't find the site files.
Try one of the following:

Add -c /home/wgant (or wharever the path to your site's root dir is)
then all other switches might be redundant.

Or, go directly where you site is, and start mongrel_rails from there
to generate the config and to check that mongrel runs. After you've
checked it make the paths absolute and start mongrel from wherever you
want.

- Don't use config AND command line options (-G to generate the config
is obviously fine). Choose either one but not both.

- Use 'netstat -ant' to see whether the port is open for listening
when mongrel starts fine and the site doesn't show up.

- Read the logs to see what's happening.