[Mongrel] Best Distro for Mongrel

Will Gant williamwgant at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 15:18:56 EST 2006

I've installed Ruby, MySql, Rails, Apache, and Mongrel. I'm first trying to prove that Mongrel works by itself before attempting integration with Apache (since I don't know jack about apache). I set up a site using the directions specified in the documentation (with the config file and all that), but the site doesn't show up when I try to hit the appropriate port (8100) on that machine.

Here's my last post on the Rails list regarding this issue:

-------
I tried creating the config file as you suggested. I think something else may be broken:

wgant at sauron:/etc/mongrel/sites-enabled$ mongrel_rails start -G test.config -e production
!!! Path to log file not valid: log/mongrel.log
start reported an error. Use mongrel_rails start -h to get help.

I then tried the following:

wgant at sauron:/etc/mongrel/sites-enabled$ mongrel_rails start -G test.config -e production -l /home/wgant/mongrel.log
!!! Path to pid file not valid: log/mongrel.pid
start reported an error. Use mongrel_rails start -h to get help.
wgant at sauron:/etc/mongrel/sites-enabled$ mongrel_rails start -G test.config -e production -l /home/wgant/mongrel.log -p /home/wgant/mongrel.pid
!!! Path to pid file not valid: log/mongrel.pid
start reported an error. Use mongrel_rails start -h to get help.
wgant at sauron:/etc/mongrel/sites-enabled$ mongrel_rails start -G test.config -e production -l /home/wgant/mongrel.log -P  /home/wgant/mongrel.pid
!!! Path to docroot not valid: public
start reported an error. Use mongrel_rails start -h to get help.

Charles Brian Quinn <me at seebq.com> wrote: I've been pretty successful with CentOS, but to be honest, I usually
install the dependencies for the ruby/rails/apache/mongrel stack from
source on all my boxen, just so I know what I'm getting into.

My current deployment scripts live here:

http://svn.highgroove.com:8080/deployment/trunk

install_rails.sh

will install ruby, rails, apache2.2.2, mongrel and a few other gems to
get you upto speed.  It then sets you up nice to use a cap recipe file
like the one in that repository as well to run multiple mongrel
clusters on the same box.

patches/suggestions/improvements/tests welcome....

--
Charles Brian Quinn
self-promotion: www.seebq.com