[Mongrel] Problems with mongrel dying

Robert Vogel robert at kitchendemocracy.org
Fri Nov 3 10:41:08 EST 2006

Hello Zed -

Thanks for the response; I will follow your advice, and will get right
on installing monit.

Question - you also say 'look in the linux log files'. Which log files
should I look at, where are they and what should I look for?

Thanks
Robert

That's awesomely complete for an analysis.  And you say they just "poof"
go away?  Ok, so there *has* to be something different about your setup
compared to other folks.  I'm thinking the oom killer thing is to
blame.  Usually when someone says it "just goes boom" it's because of
this.

While you may think your mongrel process isn't using that much ram, keep
in mind it's based on how much is available vs. what's used. You could
have a mysql that eats all the ram and Linux decides to kill your
mongrel.

So, to confirm this isn't the case, monitor your memory usage totals
during the day, and install monit to e-mail you when it needs to
restart.  Monit will tell you it had to restart, then you can jump on
and see what your memory usage log was reporting.

I usually just run a little cron job that spits out the free command to
a file once every 5 minutes or so.

Also, look in the linux log files.  IIRC the oom killer doesn't say
anything, but check to see if they improved this "magic".