[Mongrel] Nginx, Mongrel, Proxy and REMOTE_ADDR

Joey Geiger jgeiger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 18:08:26 EST 2006

The site I work on was build about 7 years ago, using apache 1.3 and
mod_perl. The majority of the site still exists in that format. I need
to maintain the current apache 1.3edness and attempt to add new
functionality using rails.

I have http://site.com/app proxying to 127.0.0.1:8000/app (which is
nginx) which in turn proxies to mongel listening at prefix=/app. It's
a big mess, especially since I can't share the image files from the
old site that the new rails code needs to use (no sense copying them
to public, which is where config.action_controller.asset_host comes
in, though it has issues with running under a prefix...)

I switched from pen as the balancer to nginx because i believe that
mongrel was going to be serving static files created by rails, so I
wanted something in front of it that could handle that and pass the
static file back to the apache proxy.

It all seems to be working right now, fingers crossed. :)