[Mongrel] Nginx, Mongrel, Proxy and REMOTE_ADDR

Joey Geiger jgeiger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 09:25:41 EST 2006

I removed the line below.
proxy_set_header         X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;

I believe what was happening, was that apache was proxying the request
to nginx, and adding the x_forwarded_for as the real ip (
then, nginx was passing the proxy request to mongrel, and was adding
the ip that it was forwarding for ( so the address that was
passed to REMOTE_ADDR ended up as,

By removing that line from the nginx configuration, it only passed the
first ip address.