[Mongrel] Nginx, Mongrel, Proxy and REMOTE_ADDR

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Nov 1 14:48:09 EST 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:26:43 -0600
"Joey Geiger" <jgeiger at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I do a <%= request.env["REMOTE_ADDR"] %> with pen balancing, it
> sends in the proper (and expected)
> When nginx is the balancer, the output becomes:,

That's odd.  I wonder if nginx is doing this as a "feature" so you know that it's really and the other IP.  I kind of like that actually.

What you can do is turn on -B logging, then go look at log/mongrel_debug/rails.log to see what is being passed to rails.  That'll let you know if it's getting combined and where.

http://safari.oreilly.com/0321483502 -- The Mongrel Book