[Mongrel] Rails and Mongrel

Jonas Tehler jegt at titanian.se
Tue Mar 28 10:30:32 EST 2006

Hi

I have some questions regarding threads in Mongrel and Rails.

According to the FAQ:

"Ruby on Rails is not thread safe so there is a synchronized block
around the calls to Dispatcher.dispatch. This means that everything
is threaded right before and right after Rails runs. While Rails is
running there is only one controller in operation at a time."

Isn't this  going  to be a MAJOR bottleneck for most Rails apps? Or
am I missing something?

As I understand it a request comes is and gets routed to a controller
which talks to the database (which takes up most of the time of the
request) and no other request will be processed by rails until the
database query is done and the result rendered and sent back to Mongrel?

If this is the case, is there any work being done on making Rails
threadsafe? I have tried to look for any info on this but haven't
found any.

/ Jonas