[Mongrel] Threading & database connections.

Jeff Jones jjones at raindrop.co.uk
Wed Mar 1 11:34:54 EST 2006

Hi Luis

Thank you for the reply. It does shed some light on things.

> If you check the code in mongrel_rails, you will see that because
> rails isn't "thread-safe", a Mutex was used to avoid controllers from
> executing simultaneously. The number of active connections shouldn't
> be different from webrick.

I have run the server with the -n 1 Parameter for a while now and it only uses two
connections (as it should). Because of this I am drawing the following conclusion.

1. (Most likely) My code is somehow buggering up ( I am a beginner after all).
2. Rails is somehow thinking that there is no DB connection when run from a second thread due to a rails bug.
2. Rails is somehow thinking that there is no DB connection when run from a second thread due to the way the MUTEX is coded. (I haven't looked at the source code, being a beginner it probably wouldn't help)

I will see if I can find out more but this is a personal project so I can only do it at lunchtime.

Jeff