[Mongrel] [mongrel] Mongrel says it works, but it doesn't

David Vrensk david at vrensk.com
Thu Jun 29 15:51:39 EDT 2006

On 6/29/06, basaah <baswilbers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/29/06, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 6/29/06, basaah <baswilbers at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > >mongrel_rails start
> ** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000
> ** Starting Rails with development environment ...
> ** Rails loaded.
> ** Signals ready.  INT => stop (no restart).
> ** Mongrel available at 0.0.0.0:3000
> ** Use CTRL-C to stop.
>
> looks good, now try firefox... and
> damn STILL don't work..
> aah I hoped it did.
> let's try webrick, nope
> maby trough 127.0.0.1:3000
> WHAT it worked, but before reinstall of ruby this had no effect.

Just to clear things up: 0.0.0.0 is a special IP address that means "all
available IP addresses", normally loopback (127.0.0.1) and one public
address (typically 192.168.x.y if you are behind a firewall).  Mongrel can
listen to all addresses (i.e., be prepared to receive connections on any
interface), but Firefox has to talk to a specific address, like 127.0.0.1 or
whatever your machine's public IP is.

Just disregard what I said if I misinterpreted the situation entirely.

Best of luck,

/David