[Mongrel] mongrel start oddities

Doug Selph dselph at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 18:56:00 EDT 2006

I am running mongrel-0.3.13.1. Have used lighty and fcgi in the past, and I
must say that apache-2.0.x proxying to mongrel is much nicer to deal with! I
am having this problem, however.

If I am in root's homedirectory, and start mongrel with this command:

---------
mongrel_rails start -a 127.0.0.1 -e production -c /home/www/rails/myapp -l
log/mongrel.log --user mongrel --group mongrel -p 8080 -d
---------

everybody is happy. Mongrel's happy. I'm happy.

However, if I am in the same location and issue this command (when no
mongrel is running, obviously):

---------
mongrel_rails start -C /etc/mongrel/mongrel_myapp.conf
---------

I get this error:

---------
!!! Path to log file not valid: log/mongrel.log
---------

Here are the contents of the YAML config file (which I generated from the
command line at the top of this message with a -G):

---------

---
:daemon: true
:cwd: /home/www/rails/myapp
:includes:
- mongrel
:log_file: log/mongrel.log
:config_script:
:pid_file: log/mongrel.pid
:group: rails
:num_processors: 1024
:environment: production
:timeout: 0
:docroot: public
:user: rails
:host: 127.0.0.1
:mime_map:
:debug: false
:port: "8080"

---------

It is as though options on the command line get parsed before the log file
path gets validated, but options in the config file are parsed *after* the
log file path is validated. Even fully qualifying the path to the log file
in the config file fails to eliminate the above error. Am I missing
something here? Or is this a bug in config file parsing?