[Mongrel] mongrel lock ups

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Jun 21 22:38:13 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 17:13 -0400, Todd Fisher wrote:
> Thread #<Thread:0xb7ac9dd4 sleep> is too old, killing.
> Error calling Dispatcher.dispatch #<Mongrel::StopServer: Timed out
> thread.>
>
> I'm getting lockups
>
> I've seen this too:
> Shutdown waited 1 for 9 requests, could take 10 seconds.^MThread
> #<Thread:0xb7815fa8 sleep> is too old, killing.
> Error calling Dispatcher.dispatch #<Mongrel::StopServer: Timed out
> thread.>

This used to happen when the client closed the socket, but those should
all be gone.  I might put in an additional debug for this in the dump
you have.

Take a look at your actions first and see if you're blocking on
something.  This happens when you do network requests to other servers
(DNS isn't async), open files and block on them, using IO.popen or
similar process forking.

Let me know what you find.  If you're at railsconf and got your code
handy I'd love to look at it.  E-mail me offlist.

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/