[Mongrel] cluster::restart vs. stop/start

bradley taylor bradley at railsmachine.com
Wed Jun 21 13:46:42 EDT 2006

Hi Jason:

On Jun 20, 2006, at 12:04 PM, Jason Young wrote:

> What's the difference, architecturally between cluster::restart and
> cluster::stop/start (I haven't looked at the code, which is kinda
> lazy of me to ask the question I know)
> If they aren't very different actually, can I put a plug in for
> having cluster::restart do a "start" if something's happened and
> mongrel is stopped for that configuration?   It appears
> that ::restart doesn't start a stopped configuration, and logically
> to me, (or at least consistently with most process restart commands)
> it should.

cluster::restart just calls "mongrel_rails restart" for each process
in the cluster.  However,  the mongrel_cluster capistrano tasks and
mongrel_cluster_ctl call cluster::stop then cluster::start. There are
subtle issues with using cluster::restart depending on if you've
modified your mongrel_cluster conf file  (changing port, etc). I tend
to favor the behavior of stop/start as its more inline with other
services and avoids issues with configuration changes.  I plan on
digging into this a bit more next week.

Bradley Taylor

Rails Machine
Simplified Ruby on Rails deployment