[Mongrel] Running Mongrel Cluster on boot

Austin Godber godber at uberhip.com
Tue Jun 20 17:42:57 EDT 2006

James Punteney wrote:
> I've installed pen and mongrel with mongrel_cluster (as gems) on
> Debian sarge. I can run everything from the command line fine
> including starting from the /etc/init.d/mongrel_cluster script
>
> On boot though mongrel_cluster fails with this msg:
> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:204:in
> `report_activate_error': Could not find RubyGem mongrel_cluster (> 0)
> (Gem::LoadError)
>        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:141:in `activate'
>        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:37:in
> `require_gem_with_options'
>        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:31:in `require_gem'
>        from /usr/bin/mongrel_cluster_ctl:17

Are you using the debian package of ruby or did you build it yourself in
/usr/local?

Can you manually go around and look to see where the gem is installed?

/usr/lib/ruby/gems
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/gems

do you have some weird combined installation of the deb and build from
source?

Austin