[Mongrel] Basic Architecture Questions

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Jun 20 10:31:16 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 05:56 -0700, Scott Walter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all I love Mongrel and I want to say thanks!

No problem, be sure to tell us what you're using it for the Adoption
page:

http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/adoption.html

> My questions are related to how things work compared to Apache+FCGI
> background
>
> 1.  With FCGI I would normally setup multiple FGI processes do I need
> to setup multiple Mongrel processes?  Or is Mongrel thread based?
> Does the --num-procs flag work the same way?

Yes, you run multiple backends just like with fastcgi:

http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/mongrel_cluster.html

> 2.  Is there one database connection per process?

Yes, unless you turn on allow_concurrency, but this can be
ultra-dangerous so use with caution (and I won't tell you how to do
it :-).