[Mongrel] Win32 issues with 0.3.13

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 05:43:28 EDT 2006

On 6/17/06, Eric Lund <etlund at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you're registering the service outside your application
> > folder, you should try to use -c option instead of -r
> >
> > mongrel_rails service::install -N myapp -c c:\path\to\myapp -p 4000
> >
> > The service chdir to that root and resolve 'public' inside of it.
> >
> > Let me know if that work for you.
> >
> Cool, thanks for that info.
> I reinstalled the service with the -c option and the \public was not
> required (as expected).  I tried again using -r, just to make sure, and
> again I had to add \public to the path to get it all to work.

-c option is for the chdir that will be made prior starting rails. -r,
on the contrary, just point to the docroot (or known as public in

Lets say my application is located in c:\myapp\A\

I chdir into it, and create a rails service. the root (-c) used will
be 'c:\myapp\A' and the docroot will be just 'public'.

if for some reason I want to serve the static content from a folder
named "dummy", I need to pass that to the service install command:

(inside c:\myapp\A\)
mongrel_rails service::install -N myapp -r dummy

Take note I didn't use the expanded path of dummy, because it is
resolved relatively from -c option, which in this case, assume current

Sounds weird, and with my poor english worse... but hope I make this clear.

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi