[Mongrel] Win32 issues with 0.3.13

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 19:06:00 EDT 2006

On 6/17/06, Eric Lund <etlund at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
> I have just a few observations to report about the new version of Mongrel
> (0.3.13) on Win32.
> 1. When installing a new service, I have to use -N instead of -n to set the
> name of my app.  The help file (-h option) has this right but the examples
> and such on the website all use -n.

That, and other new options was discussed past weeks in this list. The
-n is now used for "num-processors" option, and clash with the new
gem_plugin schema (because service:: should *extend* what
mongrel_rails do, not overwrite.

We opted for -N, but guess the docs, as usual, never get updated...
will work on that now.

> 2. The website documentation on the Win32 howto lists service::delete as a
> command but it should be service::remove

Previously, you installed/uninstalled a mongrel service, but to follow
naming conventions, when you install/add, you later remove, not
delete. (AFAIK, the same with exit/quit differences between win and

I'll update that when Zed do the commit for the changes he made (the
docs mostly, cannot see the new info on my checkout).

> 3. When installing my app as a service, I have to point to the \public
> directory in order for everything (scripts and stylesheets) to work right:
>       mongrel_rails service::install -N myapp -r c:\path\to\myapp\public -p
> 4000

THAT don't sound right, 'll check that out now and see...

If you're registering the service outside your application folder, you
sould try to use -c option instead of -r

mongrel_rails service::install -N myapp -c c:\path\to\myapp -p 4000

The service chdir to that root and resolve 'public' inside of it.

Let me know if that work for you.