[Mongrel] How normal is this memory usage?

Wilson Bilkovich wilsonb at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 14:09:45 EDT 2006

> On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 11:23 -0400, Wilson Bilkovich wrote:
> > The following is from just two invocations of "mongrel_rails".  Is
> > this normal?  57M x 3 seems a little high to me.
>
> Man, if this was Java you'd be jumping with joy at "just" 57M for three
> instances. :-)

Aah. Then there is some kind of problem, right?  I only typed
"mongrel_rails start" twice, one for each app. I'm intending to only
be running one instance per app.

> > This is the latest pre-release, Debian sarge, on my VPS.  Two Rails
> > apps running against SQLite3, with Pound in front.
>
> Kind of OT, but do you run into problems with the three instances
> accessing one SQLite3 db at the same time?  There has always been
> concurrency problems with the sqlite3 driver (and sqlite2).

Someone on IRC today was saying that it was OK to do that for apps
that were read-heavy, but personally I'd move up to postgresql as soon
as I needed multiple Mongrels.

> Second, make sure you have the very latest pre-release as it fixes a big
> socket/thread leak which could very well cause this.  One way to verify
> that you have the right version is run this comman:

I updated the install last night from mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/

> Hit me up on IRC for more help.

I don't see you in the channel.

Thanks,
--Wilson.