[Mongrel] Input/output error on linux

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Thu Jun 15 11:44:09 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 07:18 -0400, Bob Hutchison wrote:
> Hi,
>
> More on this problem. Maybe a even a clue??
>
> I restarted the server just before I sent the last message (Jun 12,
> 2006, at 9:48 AM). The difference was that I redirected stderr to a
> file (you had mentioned stdout and stderr issues). Things were
> running fine until between 17:04 and 17:12 EDT yesterday.
>
> The error this time was really different, so maybe not related at
> all. It was getting name errors like:
>
>     NameError (undefined method `options_of' for class `Module')
>
> but for all kinds of different methods and classes.
>
> Looking in the stderr file it looks as though there was a HUP signal
> caught. But no timestamp. I'm guessing it happened sometime between
> 17:04 and 17:12.
>
> Now, the specific errors I've been getting are different than those
> I've been complaining about. Is it possible that previously the HUP
> signal handling actually worked (mostly) but left the IO system in
> trouble?

So you're seeing a HUP signal for some reason, so that's something you
have to track down.  But, HUP does a "reload" of Rails, which tends to
not work so well.  If you get a HUP and the server stops working after
that, then the only thing you can do is not send the process HUP
signals.

Is someone doing a capistrano deployment that is doing a reload rather
than a restart?

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/