[Mongrel] Input/output error on linux

Bob Hutchison hutch at recursive.ca
Mon Jun 12 09:48:09 EDT 2006

On Jun 12, 2006, at 9:31 AM, Zed Shaw wrote:

>>> Are you seeing these errors usually after midnight and do you
>>> have log
>>> rotation enabled for any of the log files?  I've found log rotation
>>> causes many problems.
>>
>> I don't have log rotation enabled. And there doesn't appear to be any
>> time of day involvement either.
>
> You know there's no "write" in that help file anywhere,

Yeah I know :-) I don't know what to think of that. Maybe something
is trapping and then re-throwing the exception?

In other cases, when I've checked there had been a write.

> and even if
> there were it's being written to a StringIO internally so you wouldn't
> get a write error.

StringIO throws IOErrors for a number of reasons (I just looked at
the C code). So, your comments below are looking very interesting.

>   The only possible places to get write errors are:
>
>  1) MySQL -- See the e-mail today about mysql timeouts.

I don't use a conventional database (and if any I/O were to happen
with the DB I use I would know about it since it log the fact if
legal, or throw its own exception otherwise). The log it uses is the
standard log (where I got the stack trace from so that should be okay).

>  2) $stderr,$stdout -- rhtml *LOVES* to write crap to these, but
> Mongrel
> catches these and redirects to StringIO as well.

This is interesting. stderr and stdout have probably been detached.
I'll look into this for sure.

>  3) Files -- Make sure you're not dumping to a file that's then
> removed
> on accident.  Although this is weird.

I don't think this is happening. Everything is pretty uniform and so
if even one page is working this probably isn't happening.

Thanks,
Bob