[Mongrel] Input/output error on linux

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Mon Jun 12 09:31:18 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 09:14 -0400, Bob Hutchison wrote:

> >> Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions? Is there something
> >> useful to check in Rails or Mongrel?
> >
> > Are you seeing these errors usually after midnight and do you have log
> > rotation enabled for any of the log files?  I've found log rotation
> > causes many problems.
> I don't have log rotation enabled. And there doesn't appear to be any
> time of day involvement either.

You know there's no "write" in that help file anywhere, and even if
there were it's being written to a StringIO internally so you wouldn't
get a write error.  The only possible places to get write errors are:

 1) MySQL -- See the e-mail today about mysql timeouts.
 2) $stderr,$stdout -- rhtml *LOVES* to write crap to these, but Mongrel
catches these and redirects to StringIO as well.
 3) Files -- Make sure you're not dumping to a file that's then removed
on accident.  Although this is weird.

Zed A. Shaw