[Mongrel] Mongrel Rails - default URI

Neil Wilson neil at aldur.co.uk
Tue Jun 6 14:21:50 EDT 2006

> but you actually need to mount rails at / and
> then use Rail's routing and settings to tell it it's at a different base
> URI.  Otherwise weirdness ensues.

That looks like your good reason for hard coding '/' to me. I presume from
what you are saying that Mongrel simply matches the URI to determine a
handler and passes the entire URI to the Handler intact. Any rewriting is
pushed forward to the front-end dispatcher or backwards to the application

> If setting it to some other URI solves something for you then let me
> know what.  Might be another solution you're not aware of.

It was really to test hanging an application off a different base URI
without having to mess around altering Rails routing or setting up rewriting
rules on a webserver.

Plus I have this idea in the back of my mind that the webserver should
really be replaced with something else that is lighter and faster -
particularly as with an app layer that talks HTTP the webserver is reduced
to little more than a glorified load balancer. However at the moment we seem
to need it for its URL rewriting and re-rooting capability.