[Mongrel] Gem versioning and auto installs

Neil Wilson neil at aldur.co.uk
Sun Jun 4 03:16:45 EDT 2006

Because I can do 'gem install -v 2.7 mongrel' and pick up just the ruby
version, or 'gem install -v 2.7.2006.05.10 mongrel' and pick up the mswin
version - automatically. I can't do that if the 'ruby' and 'mswin' versions
both have identical version number. It's the lack of a gem switch to pick up
the platform that is causing the problem, so if you move the differentiator
to the version number it works around the problem. I still have to specify
the version number, but at least if I do gem gets on with the job.

Using a version number indicator at the end would achieve the same effect -
say 1 for Linux, 2 for ms win, thus:

0.3.12.4-1
0.3.12.4-2

(assuming you can have dashes in gem version numbers - I haven't tried it!)

--
Neil Wilson (neil at aldur.co.uk)