[Mongrel] Gem versioning and auto installs

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Sat Jun 3 18:52:35 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 22:34 +0100, Neil Wilson wrote:
> The way the 'mysql' gem handles this is pretty good. It adds the ISO
> date to the version number for platforms other than 'ruby', viz:
>
> Select which gem to install for your platform (i686-linux)
>  1. mysql 2.7.2006.05.10 (mswin32)
>  2. mysql 2.7.2006.04.21 (mswin32)
>  3. mysql 2.7 (ruby)
>  4. mysql 2.6 (ruby)
>  5. mysql 2.5.1 (ruby)
>  6. Cancel installation

Uh, how does putting a date on the mswin32 gem help you?  You still have
a prompt here, you'd still have to pick the latest ruby version, and it
would just complicate things.  I guess I don't see what this does for
you.

Another option is for you to simply install it like normal on one
machine, and then just rsync your gem directory to the other machines.
Considering there are quite a few ways to clone software from one
machine to a group of others (PIKT, rsync, cfengine, unison to name a
few), I think you should check out a few of those first.  It might be
that capistrano and gems just isn't really the right tool for this job.\

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/