[Mongrel] Gem versioning and auto installs

Neil Wilson neil at aldur.co.uk
Sat Jun 3 17:27:10 EDT 2006

> You've got two options at the moment:
> 1) Manually grab the version you want and then install the gem file.
> I'd do it like this:
>        $ wget \
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/9700/mongrel-
>        $ gem install mongrel-

Tried that - local gem install doesn't handle dependencies automatically :-(

Not at all keen on pre-release for various reasons.

The third option is this ugly hack that I cobbled together this afternoon
right before I ran out of hair to pull out. Those with a weak stomach should
look away now.

sudo sh -c "gem install mongrel -v </dev/null 2>&1|
    sed -ne '/(ruby)/s/ \([0-9][0-9]*\).*/\1/p' |
    gem install -y --no-rdoc -v mongrel"

Neil Wilson (neil at aldur.co.uk)