[Mongrel] win32 service rocks!

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Feb 22 12:29:40 EST 2006

Hey, I did surgery on the svn repo. Moved your source so be careful when you

Comments below...

On 2/22/06 12:19 PM, "Luis Lavena" <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hehehe, sounds good for me
> On 2/22/06, Zed Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:
>> Luis,
>> I'm sitting here playing with the win32 and it is so damn hot.  You're going
>> to be a famous man with the win32 people.  I think we should release even if
>> it doesn't have the stop quite right.
> Still wanted to get it working right, but more feedback should hepl
> this, so a release is good.

I just released!  I've tested it out and it's hot.  I'll be writing docs for
the site next and then the e-mail goes out.

People have been testing it like crazy for me so it should be pretty good.
>> I took the time to do a win32-service gem which I think I'll put up on the
>> mongrel site so people can just gem install and go.  All works great so far.
> Are you using the vc2003 I sent to you? adding the dependency is easy,
> but we need to provide the binary gem too.
Yep, works great thanks.  And I already did the dependency so when you svn
update you'll get it all.
> so win32-service and win32-service-mswin32... both gems available from
> mongrel site, good! :D
>> I also think we should take your examples/mongrel_rails_svc.rb and
>> examples/mongrel_rails_service.rb and convert them to:
>>   bin/mongrel_rails_service
>>   bin/mongrel_rails_svc
>> That way they can be install automagically by rubygems and available right
>> on the command line to people.
> Only bin/mongrel_rails_service should be linked as executable, the
> _svc only will be used internally to fire it up (and cannot be fired
> from a batch file).
I just kept it consistent, otherwise the gem system won't include both
scripts.  I modified the source for this.
>> If you can make this change, sync up with svn, then I'll do a release
>> tomorrow.
> Ok, moving the scripts to bin, changing the extensions and doing the
> right change in the gem.

Darn, just did that.  Let me know if you have problems.